How to Pack Small Appliances when Moving
How to Pack Small Appliances for a Move
Small appliance like portable microwaves, coffee makers or toaster ovens require specific steps when being packed ahead of a move. Not only is it important to ensure these items do not get damaged, they are often electronic and can be hazardous when not packed properly ahead of a move.
Get the right materials to pack your small appliances
A few items that will be needed to pack small appliances properly include:
- a paper pad (which is simply a multilayered newsprint wrap used to protect larger,
- fragile items),
- packing paper or newsprint,
- moving boxes, and
The four steps for packing your small appliances
Now, here are the correct steps for packing small appliances.
- Remove loose parts and/or accessories to the small appliance and wrap each item separately in newsprint.
- If the power cord detaches, remove it from the small appliance as well and wrap it. If it does not detach, wrap the cord with print and tuck it close to the appliance – this will prevent appliances from getting scratched.
- Line the bottom of a box with crumpled newsprint to create a padded base and pack the appliance along with its accessories and loose items.
- Fill in extra space in the box with crumpled newspaper, tape the box shut and label.
Tip: Use smaller boxes and pack appliances separately to prevent mixing up loose pieces and making unpacking easy.
While taking the time to individually wrap and pack each separate appliance and its loose items might seem tedious and will require a bit more time, it is a sure way to guarantee these items do not become damaged from being knocked around during the move or in the event of inclement weather. If any electronic appliance becomes wet, it could damage the appliance or the electrical outlet in your new home.
If you’re still not sure about how to properly pack small, electrical appliances or are worried about the potential hazards, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Our team of movers are specially trained to handle those types of items and everything else you may have in your home.
Knives should be packed with care to ensure the safety of anyone handling them during the move process. This video will show you how best to pack your knife set.Watch Video